Pages

16 June 2011

Yankee Fish

Well I figured my second day in NY and so close to all this water such as the St. Lawrence river separating the US with Canada as well as Lake Ontario and all the bays that I should go fishing.  So I studied the satellite images and maps then went out scouting for places to fish realizing that most of the lands surrounding the water were private and I would need some floaties.  I found a village named Clayton about 30 miles north on the water that rented kayaks and went to check them out only to walk out of there with a Hobie Pro-Angler model kayak.  It's got its proprietary propulsion system called the Mirage that uses your feet to drive the craft instead of an oar, though a short backup oar is on board.  The kayak is awesome, very stable, fast, and the layout is well thought.  You can stand up and fish no problem as long as your balance is keen when the other boats and ships, yeah, ships, create nearby wakes.  Be in shape though, you wont go too far at a fast rate of speed if your stamina and lags aren't at a decent strength.  Never fear, I would of outlasted Lance Armstrong by the end of day 2 on this kayak.  Being on the water was great, and I love fishing, but, the fishing was terrible.  Two days out on the water, TWO days, and I caught 2 fish.  I couldn't of caught what I was after if I'd of sunk a ship of chlorine or powered up that hydro machine from Batman Begins to vanish all the lake water.   I was looking to catch some Northern Pike, never seen those before, and maybe some Rainbow, Brown, or Brook trout.  But, no luck.  Not even a carp or bass?




The only fish I caught were these Yellow Perch.



I came across this nest atop of some marine guidance station out on the end of French bay that had a young Osprey  laying in it.  While I was fishing near its base I got into a territorial dispute with the now returned mother and decided i didn't want to loose a few chunks out of the back of my skull, so I moved on.  I tell you, she was very protective.




Some of the Islands.


And the rain came down....



No comments:

Post a Comment