Pages

06 July 2011

4th of July weekend in the Adirondacks.

Fourth of July weekend, four days of fishing...  I headed back out to the Adirondack Mountains to do some fly fishing near the town of Wilmington about 12 miles east of Lake Placid.  On Saturday I met with a guide, John R., to help better familiarize me with the area and teach me some of the local fishing techniques as well s accelerate my learning curve in fly fishing.  We went out to a spot on the Ausable River and wet some lines.  We both caught a couple of nice Brown Trout.  The next morning I fished the same area with no luck then around lunch I went to the Wilmington Notch campground to get my site for the evening.  I was not impressed with New York's park reservation system or the manner in which they do business.  Not to mention the park could use some repairs and as much as I paid for one short night to park my truck and make a fire there should be ample funds to better maintain their camp.  Back to fishing.... While on the river in a rare coincident I run into and meet a former paratrooper who lives in the area and was fortunate to fish the next day with him and learn some of the nice spots to fish and some other techniques. 






No comments:

Post a Comment